Dear Fortuna Citizens,

I am running for Fortuna City Council.  For two years I have attempted to understand why we would spend money building a water tank when we have a reservoir with more than enough storage.  I am now convinced we need to look seriously at using Vancil reservoir.  I believe that it will serve us more than adequately and at a price we can afford.

I wrote and produced the documentary above to share the information I gathered on this issue.  It compares the reasons given for building a new tank with the facts I found in the information.  

I am also very concerned that in my search for information on this issue City Hall was the most difficult source.  This should not be the case, sometimes city records are the only source of information. 

I was forced to file a lawsuit to obtain City records.  This cost us money and resources which ought to have been spent on real community discussion about the need for this tank. But even after winning the lawsuit I was denied information.  I was told there were no records until I gave them proof there were.  In fact, right now the City Manager denies that they have records on the costs for a new tank.  I am not anti-government, but I believe that openness and accountability are essential for good government.  The best way to ensure this is to run for City Council and take what I have learned into City Hall. 

I am a newcomer to Fortuna, at least when compared to those whose roots go back to the 1860’s or to the time when people first walked in this beautiful valley.  For 25 years I have happily tended to my children, home, land, continued my education and given in small ways to my community.

Though I have never served as an elected official, I have served on several governing boards.  I will serve on the City Council as I served on these boards.  I will speak up for what I believe is right, listen to others and look for solutions.

Fortuna is a unique community.  As we struggle to maintain our small town in this rapidly changing world we must find solutions for the problems this brings.  Careful balances have to be struck.  This City Council member will understand that City government benefits from the informed input of the growing diversity of this great town. Whatever the differences of opinions, everyone who lives here has a common appreciation of the City's beauty and small town strengths. Help me to help City government to find and strike the necessary balance.

Sincerely,
Janelle Egger